Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Keepin' it Real


Every year, about this time, for about 6 years now, we along with close family friends head to the local pumpkin patch in search of the perfect pumpkins. While the kids run havoc in the field, and the husbands catch up on each others' renos, a sailing trip, vacation plans, the two of us "moms" search for pumpkins. Both with a similar design sense our idea of perfect pumpkins is hardly the classic variety, we go for the white ones, green ones, lopsided ones, the grouping of 4-7 that will sit on our front stairs, a display we believe Martha would be proud of!
In the grocery store this week, I saw rows of plastic pumpkins- they were orange, large, and already carved!- for just a moment- a mere minute max, I daydreamed about purchasing these pumpkins as the thoughts of "ahhh it would be easy- no slopping through the mud, no cleaning out the guts, no guilt for composting the guts instead of making a pie- shhh don't tell Martha! Then as quick as the dream occurred I came back to my senses, shook my head and left the store- with only groceries.
I realized what I like about the real pumpkins is not only that they are real, but the joy, memories, and overall fun experience- mud and all- my pumpkin patch adventure brings me, my family and friends.
I also like real cheese- the older the better, real black and white movies as they were made instead of coloured, real Christmas trees, real thank yous that come from the heart not the wallet, a real fire roaring in the fireplace, and of course as most of you already know real recognition for real employees and customers.
Share with me your real must haves in your life.

Really, 

Janet






                                                   photograph compliments of mysweetsavannah.blogspot.com

No comments: